As we move into the winter recess, we know that many of our faculty and staff are travelling internationally for the holidays. Each time a foreign national enters the U.S., except for occasional land crossings, a new I-94 record of entry is generated by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. It is essential that you check your I-94 record after every trip outside the U.S. to ensure that you have been admitted in the proper status, for the full duration of your work authorization.

The ‘admit until date’ on an I-94 record governs how long you may lawfully stay in the U.S. These dates are sometimes shortened if a traveler has a passport that is set to expire. The CBP has also been known to enter the incorrect expiration date. It is therefore critical to check your I-94 expiration date and calendar a reminder for when you need to depart the U.S. or extend your status. Please send your most recent I-94  to your visa specialist or the FSVS mailbox (fsvs@usc.edu) after each trip abroad. Your most recent record, as well as your travel history, can be retrieved here: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home The I-94 system usually updates 24-48 hours from your entry into the U.S.

Safe travels!

FSVS